Sunday, February 5, 2012

I found an article in the Salt Lake Tribune on January 30, 2012.  The article can be found on page A9 and is titled "Candidate vows appeal after she is barred due to her limited English".  The title first caught my attention but it was where this took place that kept me reading.  I grew up in Yuma, Arizona and that's where this particular incident occurred!

Alejandrina Cabrera was not allowed to run for City Council because she lacked the ability to speak English fluently.  She lives in San Luis and this Arizona community has a large hispanic population where both English and Spanish are used!  The Mayor of San Luis filed a court action to ask for a determination of Cabrera's Enlish skills.  After an expert testified that the examination he conducted showed Cabrera lacked the necessary English skills to serve on the City Council the Yuma County Judge, John Nelson, barred her from running for office.  Cabrera states that she does need to improve her skills but, given the large hispanic community, feels that her English is adequate.  Cabrera stated, "He can't take away my constitutional rights, and if he takes away my rights, he takes away the rights of the community."

Having lived in that community for 18 years I can appreciate the usefullness of being bi-lingual.  I realize that the state law says that they need to be English speaking but I can also see the need for someone who also has the ability to speak spanish, and is who is also willing to learn English more proficiently.  I know it's a qualification for the position but it would seem that this is not a problem that cannot be solved.  Why not let her run for the office and place the condition that she continue to learn the English language and use an interpreter when necessary!  If she wins the election she will have further incentive to master the language!  Is it really fair to say she cannot run in a community that has a large portion of the population that speaks only Spanish?  Let every group be equally represented and give her a chance to learn the language.  I've certainly seen plenty of politicans that speak and write English and do it badly.....why not let her try!  I'm curious to know what others might think.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what to think on this issue. I have always been a firm believer in a person learning the language of a country they wish to inherit its benefits as a citizen. My own mother is Latina and she managed to learn the language of this country, I know it is possible. I would have to say that being a representative within a country's government the need to proficiently speak the language isn't really a question, However, I wonder how proficient Cabrera is in speaking English? Is it a matter of not knowing certain words and needing interpretation or is a matter of others not understanding an accent that comes along with learning a new language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That area is heavily populated with hispanic individuals. To me this invites the possibility that that part of the population, in that area, might just get equal representation. You don't have to speak fluent English to be a citizen and given the large number of hispanic constituents in that area, I think it could be a positive move towards having their voices heard. The canidate admits her Enlish is not the best but is willing to continue to work on improving it! If someone is deaf we give them an interpreter so that they can communicate with those of us we don't know sign language. It's a bit of a stretch, but why can't they at least allow her to run and see what the people want. If she is NOT what the population want in a City Council person, then let the public decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the qualification was fluent English for government office then most Americans would fail and that would be unconstitutional. She was not allowed to run for City Council because she lacked the ability to speak English fluently and I think that is unconstitutional.It's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete